The Anglican Church has had a presence in New Brunswick since 1768 when the Rev. John Eagleson was sent by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts to minister to the people living in the Tantramar area of present-day New Brunswick. Many more priests arrived in 1783 along with the United Empire Loyalists and as they established new congregations they started recording many of the events of church life - baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials and others. Beginning in the 1960s the Anglican Diocese of Fredericton attempted to gather and preserve these records and, while the process is not complete, there are now 755 registers of various types being held by the Diocesan Archives. (You can read more about the history of the Diocesan Archives by clicking here.)
In May 2018 the New Brunswick Genealogical Society and the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick, which now manages the Anglican records on behalf of the Diocesan Archives, agreed to scan and transcribe the many registers and then to make them available to the public on the NBGS website. Recruitment of a technical team and a large group of transcribers started in August 2018 and, following a pilot phase, the transcription project got under way in January 2019.
Many of the registers are very fragile and require delicate handling. Scanning these registers and then enhancing the images takes a lot of human resources and some expensive equipment. As of September 2019 over 360 of the registers have been scanned and sent to NBGS and more arrive periodically. These registers require considerable processing before they are assigned to transcribers and the Project Status report shows the number that are actually available.