: If you wish to include an introduction in your Legacy register report, you will need some additional guidance, which you can find in the next Knowledge Base article. Please contact the Co-Webmanagers
.for further assistance.
Open Legacy and select Reports on the Ribbon bar, then click on Descendant Book.
The next screen should look like this =>
This is the control centre - the place to set the parameters for your report.
Options Tab -
You should probably start by picking the person who will be
the starting point for your report.
At the bottom of the screen, click on 'Change'.
Next, decide how many generations to include in the report. You could set the number to include your great-grandparents, or, possibly, your grandparents, if all persons in that generation are no longer living.
We request that you include a table of contents, with settings as shown.
There are other settings under the Options tab that you may set as you wish.
- Missing Information Space - Inserts an underlined space so that missing information can later be filled in for given names, surnames, dates and places.
- Single-space children - By default,there is a blank line between subsequent children. Choosing this option removes that extra blank line and packs the child list a bit tighter.
- Include Gender for Children - The original format for Register-type reports did not include the gender of the children.
- Main Entries - Normally, only individuals who have children are given their own main block of information. Otherwise, they are just listed as children of their parents. You can also specify that individuals with either children or spouses be listed in a main information block, or that all individuals have a main entry. You can also decide to include the direct line back to the starting ancestor and to show the spouses for children who will have a main entry.
Page Layout Tab - The easy (and probably the best) approach is to simply accept the default options, as shown.
Here's a brief explanation of each option.
- New Generation On Each Page - Starts each generation on a new page. If you want each generation to begin on an odd numbered page, choose the Start on an odd page number option. Bear in mind that the odd-page-number option will result in a longer book.
- Print Names in Bold - Prints each name appearing in the report in a bold font.
- Paragraph Indents - The distance to indent each type of paragraph included in the report.
- Custom Report Spacing - Lets you adjust the amount of blank line space to be included above the various report sections.
Heading Layout Tab -
A couple of the settings in this area are fairly important and we offer some suggestions for your consideration.
Title for Page 1 - The title that is printed only at the top of the first page of the report, after the title page. We suggest that you set this to be as close to the title on the front cover as space will allow. You can also embed replaceable fields within the title text. For example, "Report for [name]". The [name] field will be replaced with the person's name when the report is generated.
Headings - The title that is printed at the top of all the pages after the first page. You could make this the same as the first page or use a shorter title. Here, too, you can embed replaceable fields within the title text. For example, "Report for [name]". The [name] field will be replaced with the person's name when the report is generated.
Subtitles - Specifies the type of generation subtitles printed. These can include the generation number (Generation One, Generation Two) or the Relationship of the generation (Parents, Grandparents) or both (Generation Two, Parents). We suggest that you include both You can also specify the position of the subtitles as being left- or center-justified.
Wording 1 Tab -
You can specify phrases that the software will use when creating the narrative paragraphs of the report. We suggest that you simply accept the default wordings, as shown.
Wording 2 Tab -
You can specify phrases for the various note paragraphs of the report. These include General Notes, Research Notes, Medical Notes, Marriage Notes, Birth Notes, Christening Notes, Death Notes, and Burial Notes. For simplicity, we suggest that you accept the default wordings.
Index Options -
An all-names index is, from our perspective, a vital component of your book. It is important that you follow our suggestions for the settings.
Start by clicking on Index Options, near the bottom of the main page.
Please use the settings as shown in the example to the right.
* Include a name index
* Use Style 2
* Surnames should be uppercase
* Use two columns
We would prefer that you not include a Location Index.
Title Page -
We recommend that you include a title page for your report.
Start by clicking the appropriate box near the bottom of the main page.
Main Title - The title on the Title Page. There are 4 blank lines for inputting your title, so you can be quite descriptive. Please set the font to Arial and the size to 18.
Subtitle - The subtitle that prints at the bottom of the Title Page. This area could include your name. Please set the font to Arial and the size to 14.
Picture - You can include a specific picture on the Title Page.
Caption - The caption you want to print under the picture.
Size - The picture can be printed small, medium or large.
Shadow-You can have a drop-shadow behind the picture.
Report Options - This section contains many options that allow you to change the appearance of your report.
After clicking Report Options you will be presented with a number of tabs.
- The default options, as shown to the right, are generally appropriate. We strongly recommend that you not include any addresses in the report.
Format - Here, again, the default options are largely appropriate. That said, there are a few things we'd like to highlight.
You should click the box for "Don't repeat duplicate lines".
Under Page Numbering, click the box for "Number all pages consecutively".
Under Blank Line Removal, click the box for "Keep Bir., Chr., Dth., Bur. and Marr."
Under Event Addresses, do not click any boxes.
- The default options, as shown at right, are appropriate for notes.
You should only include stories if they will not take up a huge amount of space. Depending on the ultimate size of your book, limiting stories so they take no more than 10% to 15% of the total space might make sense.
- Every researcher judges the work of others by looking at the quantity and quality of sources that have been cited. If you want others to accept your work, you need to cite your sources.
Click the box that says "Print sources citations'
Click the button that says, "As endnotes at the end of the book"
Click the button that says, "Indent first line"
- For the purposes of the NBGS website, we suggest that you not include any pictures. If a few pictures are critical to your narrative, be sure to tightly control the number.
Report Settings - This is located in the lower right corner of the main page.
Save - Saves the current set of report options for either future use (saved under a file name you provide) or as user-default settings.
Load - Load a set of saved options (you choose from any settings you have previously saved) or load User-Defaults.
Reset - Change all the report options back to either the Legacy defaults or to your user-defaults (if you have saved user-default settings).
When you have set all the options, click either the Preview button to see an on-screen view of the report before it is actually printed, or click Print to have the report sent directly to the printer.
Descendant Charts can be output to various formats. Make your choice by clicking on the appropriate option button in the lower right corner of the Report Menu window. The choices are: